Tuesday, April 02, 2002

Arafat Speaks with Al-Jazeera

Tuesday, April 02 2002 @ 07:21 PM GMT

The following report includes excerpts from a telephone interview with Palestinian President Yasser Arafat and Al-Jazeera satellite news station. When asked about Sharon’s threat to exile the President, Arafat replied:

“This is my homeland, not Sharon’s homeland. We have been in this land since even before the Prophet Abraham was here.” He added, “We are here defending Palestine and the people of Palestine. We are defending the honor of the Arab nation, and the honorable people of the whole world, the Christians and the Muslims of the Holy Land.” He continued, stating, “Today, they (Israeli forces) invaded Bethlehem, the land of Jesus. Days ago, they tried to destroy the statue of Mary, (inside the church of the Nativity in Bethlehem) and today, they are attacking and burning churches and mosques. How could this be acceptable by Arabs, Muslims, Christians and the whole world? This is the message we send to the world… where are you?

I have said that before, and I will say it now, I would rather die a martyr, a martyr, a martyr.

God willing, a girl or a boy from our land will raise the Palestinian flag over the mosques and the churches of Jerusalem.”

In response to a question regarding his condition in his besieged headquarters, Arafat responded, “I lived in caves, while fighting Israeli forces, this is a nation of strong people, I live with a strong people, and I am one of them. I tell my brothers and sisters, dear ones, and the Arab leaders, God willing, we will pray one day in Jerusalem.”

No comments: