Monday, October 18, 2004

Monday morning here at Cafe Allegro, posting resumes and hoping for a fish to bite.
I sold the Isuzu last week so if I keep a close eye on funds I should have enough to last me for a couple of months. I just can't get over how lousy this economy is. Like a bad science fiction movie. Everyone who is a 'wage slave' gets treated like crap more than ever, while those who live 'lifes of privelege' are insulated more and more from the suffering they cause to others.
This is such a nihilistic society here in the U.S. "It's not my fault." "It's not my problem." "They're on the other side of the ocean and don't look like us, why should I care?"
If there is ever a comupance for this country that nihilism is going to have to be the first thing to be addressed. It's like german society during WWII when the germans didn't even think about all the jews being killed in the camps just a few blocks away from their village. The smoke drifting into those villages must have told them something bad was happening there, yet after the war they claimed they knew nothing about it. Same thing here. People think that because our military has been murdering people in third world countries or assisting and aiding that murder that somehow they are exempt. I don't think so. I feel that as citizens in the most powerful country on the face of the earth that we have a real duty and responsibility to make sure that power is used wisely, and if it's not being used wisely, then it is our duty to remove that power from the hands of those who would abuse it. Part of that responsibility is making sure that we are fully and completly informed in how that power is being used in order to make mature and responsible decisions. We are failing badly in that responsibility now, and doing so knowingly. And for that, we deserve to be shamed before the world.

No comments: