Monday, September 27, 2004

This is in regards to this story: The enemy is not on the court


Armstrong wanted to wear long pants, sleeves and a scarf while playing because the Islamic code calls for women's skin to be covered. Her teammates didn't mind, but critics screamed that it would open the floodgates for individualized jewelry and clothing to be worn by every player with a distinctive faith.
=======================================================================
My buddy felt she shouldn't be allowed to wear a scarf or warm-ups on the court. I felt it was okay. Here's my response:

Nope, sorry I disagree. Let's look at this: If she's
Amish and is required by her faith to wear that frumpy
old 1800 settler's dress and sun bonnet how many
people would be upset over that? Pretty much no one,
in fact the hard core christians would all be like
'oh, she's living her faith, she's blessed!' I think
the whole issue is just intolerance to a mid-east
religion. I mean really, when teams come out on the
court they're wearing their warmup suits, running
around, passing the ball, grabbing each others nuts,
dry humping and shit, what's the dealeo with her
wearing her warmup suit while she plays? No big deal.
What if she's got lupis and it's a danger for her
skin to be exposed to. . . . harsh lamplight? As far
as wearing a scarf, again, no big deal. She didn't
convert to Islam until *after* she was at school. My
buddy Mohamed, who's muslim has a wife who never wore
the hijab or a scarf, or really pretty much anything
(they're proud islamic nudists.) But a few years ago
she decided to wear a scarf, wear the hijab and he
said it was her decision to do so, he never pressured
her and he supported her either way. If you ever saw
the two of them together you would know he was telling
the truth, I've seldom seen a more equal couple, he
was *always* talking to her about 'Well, do you want
to do this." "What would *you* like to do." "Get me
a malt liquor, bitch!" You know, typical american
family.
As far as 'encouraging others to pimp out their
uniforms.' Bullshit. If dude wants to put on a ton
o' bling bling before he comes out on the court, let
him. I'll dance all over his ass while he's trying to
avoid getting smacked by his 20 pounds worth of
mercedes/porsche/cadillac/pepsi/coke/sprite/tab/
medals and shit. And I don't even play basketball!
'Yeah, come on bitch, come get some.' *smack* Mikey
goes down for the count. . .
Anyway, I guess I've made my point. It's no big
deal, and people shouldn't be getting all nuclear
about *a scarf* ! ! !

No comments: