Wednesday, May 29, 2002

Speaking out about citizens' silence:
Curtailing criticism of the president is not the way to be a patriot. Dialogue--and dissent-- about the war on terrorism is the American way.



Can I say something now? Because no one's been able to do so, until recent revelations that the Bush administration had advance notice of the terrorism that came on Sept. 11. Somehow that nugget of info has broken the collective silence of the American people.

And silence, as my insurance agent used to assure me when trying to sell me yet another policy, is always interpreted as consent.

Some of us questioned the war on terrorism. The administration says it was a success, but by what criteria was success or failure measured? We didn't get Osama bin Laden. But this subject isn't something I could talk about with friends or family back in the U.S.

People with differing opinions on military action have been accused of being unpatriotic, of not loving America anymore. It's untrue and it hurts -- I feel like I'm a child again in the middle of a crisis at home where no one can say a word or Dad's temper will explode.

But I'm an American too, even if I live overseas. I have my passport; I pay taxes; my kids are American, love the U.S. and plan to live there when they are finished with school. I fly a huge American flag outside my house every 4th of July whether my English neighbors like it or not.

No comments: